Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Lemon Yellow Still Life


Another way that I like to use color is to pick, for example, one red and one blue and then use a range of tube colors for the third in the triad - yellow in the painting above. The palette for this one is Burnt Sienna for red, Sennelier Cobalt Turquoise blue, and then a range of yellows - Cad. Lemon, Cad. Yellow, Winsor Yellow mostly with a bit of Naples Yellow, Yellow Ochre, and Cad. Yellow Deep. I also love to use one blue, one yellow and then a bunch of reds as in "Snuggle Buddies" from four posts ago.

Working this way allows the color I'm using so much of from different tubes, yellow in this example, to intimate and suggest many other colors in the spectrum that aren't blatantly there. I call this particular color - whichever one it is, red, yellow, or blue, my "spectral" color.

No comments:

Post a Comment