Friday, April 16, 2010

Skin Tones



I've been working from the model a lot recently. We have a couple of great places to go near here - great professional models, wonderful spaces to work and other terrific artists to be inspired by.

I'm pretty rusty here and was very unhappy with my skin tone palette, so I did a bit of R&D for myself and some of my results are above.

I'm not going to write a great deal here - please contact me for questions or discussions - I welcome it! However, I'll say that the Old Holland Cadmium reds were hands down the most satisfactory for me in color and paint handling. The Winsor & Newton Cadmium Red was muddy by comparison - and I can always mix mud.... The Winosr & Newton Burnt Sienna and Tera Rosa were fantastic though. Winsor Red wasn't too bad, but I still much prefer the Old Holland Cadmiums - Red Lt, and Scarlet! The worst was Holbein's Tera Rosa - muddy and bluish.




No comments:

Post a Comment